Devy’s Top Tips for Travellers Driving In France
- In France, we drive on the right.
- Every passenger as well as the driver must wear their belt at all times.
- The use of mobile phones is prohibited whilst driving.
- The speed limits in France are 50 km/h in built up areas, 90 km/h on ordinary roads, 110 km/h on major roads and 130 km/h on motorways.
- If you’re on the motorway and it’s wet, you must drop to 110 km/h.
- Be careful to not park in a zone d’enlèvement – your car will be towed away.
- Also look out for a sign saying Interdit de stationer le samedi – Jour de marché (No parking on Saturdays, Market day). Your car will be towed away.
- If there are no cars when you park, don’t think it’s luck, it is probably because the locals know that there is a market on!
To hear how they sound, please click here:
French phrases to know if you’re planning to drive in France
|JE CHERCHE UN PARKING||zhuh shehrsh uñ parkeeng||I AM LOOKING FOR A CAR PARK…|
|ON PEUT SE GARER ICI?||oñ puh suh garayeesee||CAN WE PARK HERE?|
|COMBIEN DE TEMPS PEUT-ON SE GARER ICI?||koñ-byañ duh toñ puht-oñ suh garayeesee?||HOW LONG CAN I PARK HERE FOR?…|
|NOUS ALLONS À…||nooz aloñ a…||WE’RE GOING TO……|
|POUVEZ-VOUS ME MONTRER SUR LA CARTE?||poovayvoo muh moñtray soor la kart||CAN YOU SHOW ME ON THE MAP?…|
|POUR REJOINDRE L’AUTOROUTE, S’IL VOUS PLAÎT?||poor ruh-zhwandrl ohtohroot seel vooh pleh||HOW DO I GET ONTO THE MOTORWAY?…|
|IL FAUT PAYER … ?||eel foh payay||DO I NEED TO PAY … ?|
|QUEL EST LE MEILLEUR ITINERAIRE?||kel eh luh may-yuhree-teenay-rehr||WHAT’S THE BEST ROUTE?|